Summer entertaining is all about breezy, uncomplicated get togethers. That includes back-to-basics, unfussy food, that’s of course, still delicious. While chatting on a patio over pre-dinner cocktails, these tartines are the perfect appetizer, capitalizing on summer fruit at its peak and adding a bit of complexity with addition of creamy Maytag Blue cheese. Here, Kathy Mangham of Baton Rouge, Louisiana-based fine catering company Gourmet Girls shares her recipe for the delicious app (see below for ingredients and instructions; our version is featured above).
Mangham specializes in creating menus of beautifully presented food featuring seasonally inspired quality ingredients, which she showcases on her hunger-inducing Instagram feed. Once you’ve prepped for your summer soirée, head over to her feed to start planning your next fête.
Apricot and Maytag Tartine Recipe
- 6 fresh apricots, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 12 ounces Maytag Blue cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
- 1 French baguette, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and coarse ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine apricot slices and the juice of one lemon. Set aside.
- Lay baguette slices on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil liberally over bread; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While bread is still a little warm, spread about 1 teaspoon blue cheese on top. Layer with apricot slices, and drizzle with honey.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish each tartine with the leaves from a lemon thyme sprig.