Compose Your Mantel
A mantel is worthy of attention all year long, but during the holiday season in particular it deserves special care. While the most important part of the mantel-decorating process is to be confident and inspired, there are some tricks to curating just the right look, so we sought out some expert advice to help us get started:
- Find something you have in abundance, and use them all (or as many as you can). Books are always a good choice because they create architecture, add depth, and can be used to raise objects.
- Bigger items are better, and the less variety the better. Choosing many objects from the same family will create a cohesive look and keep your mantel from looking cluttered.
- Include a few items that shine. Mercury glass is great for the holidays because it adds a dose of sparkle without being overpowering.
- Incorporate nature. Walk out your front door, grab whatever you have in your yard, and add it to the mix.
- A wreath on a mirror is simply the best! It’ll make your mantel feel festive, of course, but more than that it’s absolutely beautiful.