Up for Auction: The Personal Collection of Interiors Pioneer Lars Bolander
This Saturday, bidders will have the unique opportunity to acquire items from the private collection of celebrated interior designer—and pioneer of Swedish design—Lars Bolander. A consummate collector with an undeniably appealing and eclectic style, Bolander and his work have been featured in publications including Vogue, House Beautiful, Elle Decor, Architectural Digest, and The Wall Street Journal, making Saturday’s auction in Palm Beach (where Bolander has maintained a home and a showroom on Antique Row for many years), held by TSG Chicago’s Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, a highly anticipated event.
The items up for auction include Bolander’s personal treasures, including elements from his Palm Beach house, landscape (such as this a pair of cast stone models of dogs seated on rectangular plinths), and beloved showroom.
Bolander is the author of two books, Lars Bolander. Interior Design and Inspiration, which explores the designer’s influences from around the world, and Lars Bolander’s Scandinavian Design, which covers the design styles of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland. The auction catalog is practically a third tome, showcasing stunning pieces in breathtaking spaces, like this 19th/20th century Burmese carved wood model of a horse depicted near-life size (dimensions: 77″ H x 72″ W) set against gorgeous, soft grey walls.
Bolander’s diverse education and extensive travels are evident in his aesthetic. Throughout his Palm Beach home, hallmarks of Swedish design intermingle with European and Asian finds, allowing every element to pop. With a clean, light, airy space as a base, ornate mirrors and intriguing objects beautifully stand out yet also contribute to a compelling and cohesive whole. Inspired by Bolander’s incredible eye and expertise, we combed through the auction catalog and pulled some of our favorite pieces to feature here, but it is well worth the time to peruse every page.
The Great Room
How wonderful is this vignette? Each element comes together so perfectly (and they could be ours!). Table: 18th/19th century Danish painted occasional table having a rectangular dished top inset with 28 ceramic tiles over a frieze drawer, raised on cabriole legs (dimensions: 30.25″ H x 39″ W x 23″ D). Painting: British, 17th/18th century portrait of Elizabeth 1, artist unknown, oil on panel (dimensions: 41.5″ H x 31″ W). On table from left to right: 20th century Neoclassical style composition bust (dimensions: 21.25″ H); continental terra cotta figure depicting a North African man with polychrome decoration (dimensions: 15.75″ H); bronze shell: a cast metal table ornament in the form of a nautilus shell (dimensions: 9″ H); 19th century french terra cotta bust depiction a young Mozart, raised on a socle (dimensions: 20″ H).
We can’t get over the stunning seating on offer, either. Top: a set of three 19th century Gustavian painted fauteuils each having a shaped padded back, padded arms, and stuffover set, raised on fluted tapering legs. Bottom: a pair of 19th/20th century French painted tabourets each with rectangular cushion seats, raised on bent legs ending in hoof feet. Here are a few of our other favorite pieces from the gorgeous space:
1. 18th century Danish painted and parcel gilt trumeau mirror having a rectangular plate beneath a ribbon tied trophy within a rosette worked frame (dimensions: 74″ H x width 38.25″ W)
2. Pair of late 19th century Italian marble recumbent lion sculptures
3. 18th/19th century Southeast Asian painted figure depicting a kneeling monk with hands clasped in prayer (dimensions: 32″H)
4. A pair of Italian, 19th century cameos, oil on canvas (dimensions: 30″ H x 25.5″ W); there are a total of four sets of two
5. Silvered brass rams head table ornament (dimensions: 6″ H)
6. 19th century continental marble center bowl (dimensions: 27″ W over handles)
7. Four 20th century stone Buddha heads (dimensions vary)
IN THE STUDIO and Storefront
More beautiful painted pieces in soft palettes include: Top: 19th century Gustavian painted canape having a padded horseshoe back, with padded arms and a stuffover seat, raised on fluted tapering legs (dimensions: 33″ H x 64″ W x 26″ D); bottom, left: 19th century pair of Gustavian painted fauteuils (only one shown) each with a padded oval back, padded arms and a stuffover seat, raised on fluted tapering legs (dimensions: 34″ H); bottom, right: 19th century pair of Louis XV style painted bergeres each with a padded back and a stuffover seat within a carved frame, raised on cabriole legs (dimensions: 33″ H).
We’re also partial to the watercolors by French naturalist painter La Roche Laffitte, all signed. Top: Anemonum watercolor on silk 21 x 15 inches. Shells and Marine Life Studies (four works), watercolor on silk. Additional pieces we absolutely covet include:
1. 19th century (with later paint) Swedish painted and parcel gilt occasional table having a rectangular white marble top over a fluted and leaf carved frieze, raised on fluted tapering legs joined by C-scroll stretchers centered with a shell (dimensions: 29″ H x 33″ W x 20″ D).
2.19th century Swedish painted fauteuil with a circular padded back and padded arms above a stuffover seat, raised on tapering legs (dimensions: 36″ H).
3. 19th century (with later paint) Swedish painted and parcel gilt daybed having a domed crest carved to show opposing lions over a rectangular back and sides and an upholstered seat, raised on carved legs (dimensions: 48″H x 75″ W x 25″D).
4. 19th century (with later paint) Swedish painted secretary bureau having a fall-front writing surface opening to a fitted interior above three drawers, raised on block feet (dimensions: 52.5″ H x 54″ W x 23″ D).
5. Late 18th century Swedish painted console table having a demilune marble-inset galleried top above a fluted frieze, raised on fluted tapering legs (dimensions: 30″ H x 28″ W x 15″D).
6. Swedish painted and parcel Ebonized console table having a rectangular marble inset top raised on monoped griffin supports over a faux marble plinth base (dimensions: 32.5″H x 29″W x 18″D).
7. 18th century (with later paint) Swedish painted sofa having a rectangular padded back, padded arms and a stuffover seat, raised on fluted tapering legs (dimensions: 38.5″ H x 59″ W x 26″ D).
There truly is something for everyone and every space in Saturday’s sale, including unique outdoor elements like the above 18th/19th century Southeast Asian painted figure (dimensions: 40″ H). Whether you’re in Palm Beach or bidding from afar, this auction is not to be missed.
Photography by Leslie Hindman Auctioneers. The auction will take place on March 21, 2015 at 12:00 p.m. EST at the West Palm Beach saleroom located at 1608 South Dixie Highway, West Palm Beach, Florida 33401. For more information, including detailed condition reports and bid assistance, please call 561.833.8053.