Preparing the Home for the Holidays
While decking the halls and getting ready for holiday entertaining might seem like an opportunity to show off all of your seasonal décor, a little restraint and an eye for pieces that can be put to new use can be the difference between ornament envy and overload. Here’s some expert advice to keep in mind as you assess your holiday decorating demands:
- Mix your favorite holiday pieces in with your year-round décor on your bookshelves and tables. This will make them appear even more unique and interesting. That said…
- …don’t overdo it! You don’t need to put everything out. Be selective about which items you would like to display, and consider putting some of your everyday items away in storage so your holiday décor stands out.
- Incorporate fresh flowers. This is always a great and budget friendly way to dress up the home, and blooms offer a nice contrast to holiday sparkle.
- When entertaining, add extra seating by bringing in some of your favorite seating options from other rooms. This could mean benches, ottomans, and patterned pieces that add life to a space.
- Convert an armoire, console, side table, or even a bookshelf into a temporary bar space. It’s a chic way to change things up and utilize existing space.
Expert tip from Tyson Geary Interiors in New Orleans, LA.