Guest Curator: Erica Hanks’s Favorite Picks for Spring 2016
The weather is still deciding whether or not to fully commit to spring, but thanks to Instagram, we’re ready to take the plunge on a full-on wardrobe transition. (Who could resist after seeing an image like the above, posted by Raleigh’s always-chic Vermillion?) To help us stay focused as we try to process spring wardrobe inspiration overload, we asked Charlotte-based stylist Erica Hanks to share her top picks for the season. Here are her recommendations, along with our suggestions for where to find looks locally throughout the TSG network:
1. A Statement Clutch. Finish an outfit or spruce up a basic look with a beautiful statement bag. For spring, try downsizing to a smaller bag and ditch the tote. The Proenza Schouler bag is a perfect example of this, with a cross body strap that’s functional for day that can turn into a clutch for lunching with the girls and date nights. Get the look with a Givenchy ‘Antigona’ clutch available from Capitol in Charlotte, NC.
2. A Dressy Vest. A vest of any length is such a great topper to any outfit, and adds a little depth to your look. One of my favorites for the season is Marni’s pink gilet with crystal button details. Even in jeans and a shirt you’ll feel ladylike with this on. Get the look with a Stella McCartney ‘Beca’ sleeveless blazer from Neapolitan Collection in Chicago, IL.
3. Off-the-Shoulder. This spring the shoulder gets to shine with so many off-the-shoulder options in tops and dresses. I’m a huge fan of Joanna Ortiz and her artistic collections, and her off -the-shoulder gingham top is on my must-have list. Get the look with a Marc Jacobs palm print off-the-shoulder blouse available from Capitol in Charlotte, NC.
4. Updated Sunnies. Sunglasses, like all other accessories, should let your personality come through! Stella McCartney has the perfect pair of cat-eye sunnies in a pastel pink tortoise shell mix that can go with everything in your closet, yet still be a standout accessory. Get the look with Linda Farrow rose gold cat-eye sunglasses from Marissa Collections in Naples, FL.
5. Stripes. Stripes are synonymous with spring, and this season it’s all about renewing this trend in different textures, color combinations, and materials. One of my favorites for the season that’s easy to wear for everyone is a stripe skirt. I love the one from A Piece Apart with shirred panels and the tassel details that give the skirt extra motion. Get the skirt featured above from Hampden in Charleston, SC.
6. Tassels. Tassels and fringe have become a fun detail for shoes of all types. Chloe has a heeled sandal that I’ve become obsessed with, primarily because its such a versatile heel that packs a lot of interest. The tan hue ensures you’ll wear it with everything this spring! Get the look with a pair of Aquazzura ‘Wild Thing’ sandals from ROAN in Richmond, VA.
7. Sequins. Sequins aren’t just for the holiday season anymore. This spring we will find sequins in clothing, accessories, and the most unexpected places for everyday wear. Eugenia Kim is a favorite of mine, and the touch of bling on her oversized straw hat is the perfect accessory for your spring vacation. Get the look with a Fendi 3Baguette shoulder bag featuring multi-color discs and all-over sequins available from Marissa Collections in Naples, FL.
ERICA HANKS is a wardrobe stylist whose work extends beyond her group of professionals, athletes, and well-known men and women across the country to commercial and editorial wardrobe styling for corporate companies, national campaigns, catalogs, TV segments and magazines. Her personal clients have been featured in national and international media outlets such as The Huffington Post, Vogue TV, Marie Claire, and the UK’s Daily Mail. Erica lives in Charlotte, NC, with her husband and children.
Photo of Erica Hanks by Angela Cox.
Get more stories like this delivered directly to your inbox. Sign up to receive The Scouted Life newsletter HERE.