This time of year, we’re always looking to add a few fresh pieces to our wardrobes. In addition to the tried and true classics, we like to mix in some statement-making items to stay current and keep us from succumbing to fall wardrobe fatigue. To help us determine how best to enhance our closets, we asked Charlotte-based stylist Erica Hanks which fashion trends she’s favoring this fall. Here are her top picks, along with our tips for how to get the look from within the TSG network:
1. Bold bags. Fall is all about the statement bag—regardless of size. The fashion-conscious should look for bold color and patterns, which catch the eye and set you apart. Paula Cademartori’s Dun Dun mini bag perfectly illustrates this trend; the contrast of the appliqué colors is modern and fun without being too kitschy. Get the look with a Dolce & Gabbana Rosalia Chain Bag from Marissa Collections in Naples, Florida.
2. High waisted pants. Pants are headed north this season. I’ve been obsessed with Frame’s suede high waisted pant since their fall presentation during NYFW. Even with a basic button down, they elevate a look from mundane to chic. Get the look with these Stella McCartney Dakota trousers available from Hampden in Charleston, South Carolina.
3. Fur shoes. Fox, kangaroo, and rabbit fur have made their way onto footwear this season. I’m in love with the Rupert Sanderson flat with fox fur, which is the perfect day-to-night shoe to dress up a basic look or to finish a dressed-up outfit. Get the look with the Rupert Sanderson Ralph flat with fox fur (shown above) from Hampden in Charleston, South Carolina.
4. Pleating. Pleated skirts are perfect for the season, and can be worn in a variety of ways. Whether your pick is accordion or car wash, it’s a flattering look for just about everyone. Miu Miu’s forest green python print done in a simple pleating is a perfect, edgy take on the trend. Get the look with a Saint Laurent pleated A-line skirt from Capitol in Charlotte, North Carolina.
5. Fur. There are so many choices in terms of how to wear fur, and faux has come a long way as an acceptable and animal-friendly way to wear the trend. Shrimps does a super playful take on fur looks; their Plum color-block shearling coat is a perfect pairing of hues and can be worn with everything from denim to leather. Get the look with this Marni color block coat from Neapolitan in Chicago, Illinois.
6. Stacked heels. Stilettos are always fun and sexy, but a blocked heel is sophisticated, modern, and chic. I love Acne Studios’s Leather pump with a copper heel; it’s a modern update to a mature silhouette and can be flattering with skirts, dresses, and pants. Get the look with a Miu Miu fur and glitter pump from The Little Bird in Aspen, Colorado.
(Top) Fringe. Fringe is in full force this season, and you’ll see it everywhere, from accessories to shoes to clothing. Ulla Johnson is one of my favorite casual designers, and her Sanna dress is not only great by itself (the fringe on the bodice is unexpected), but it can be layered with a turtleneck underneath or your favorite cardigan or sweater over it. Beanie + Cecil in Wilmington, North Carolina carries the line—call and inquire about getting the look.
ERICA HANKS is a wardrobe stylist whose work extends beyond her group of professionals, athletes, and well-known men and women across the country to commercial and editorial wardrobe styling for corporate companies, national campaigns, catalogs, TV segments and magazines. Her personal clients have been featured in national and international media outlets such as The Huffington Post, Vogue TV, Marie Claire, and the UK’sDaily Mail. Erica lives in Charlotte, NC, with her husband and children.
Photo of Erica Hanks by Chris Edwards.
Get more stories like this delivered directly to your inbox. Sign up to receive The Scouted Life newsletter HERE.