ABOUT TSG CHARLESTON CO-EDITOR JULIE HUBERT:
Julie resides in Charleston, South Carolina, on the sleepy little island town of Daniel Island. She has two kids, two cats, two dogs, and one financial portfolio managing husband. Julie started her career in the non-profit world, fundraising and event planning. After taking time off to raise her children, she began freelance home design and then was randomly offered a job in social media, which she quickly learned she loved. Social media gave Julie a creative outlet and offered the ability to network and meet new people throughout the city. Julie and her co-editor Jenn met through a mutual friend and discovered they both loved interior décor, painting, reality TV, and everything in between. They saw that Charleston was the perfect Scout Guide market and knew it would be a success if they brought it back!
In addition to producing Volume 7 of The Scout Guide and social media, Julie enjoys traveling, the British Royal Family, binging Netflix, celebrating any and all holidays, and spending time with her family and pets (especially her Miniature Schnauzer, Rhett.) She also loves a good nap, volunteering, and home décor projects.
JULIE’S THREE FAVORITE REASONS TO VISIT CHARLESTON:
- The Architecture. You can’t walk down the street without seeing a beautiful building, a historic home, or even a small detail that is charming to behold. Charleston’s skyline doesn’t have skyscrapers (as nothing here can be taller than the tallest church steeple), adding to the character of the city. Thanks to historic preservation, the architecture is original and can’t be beat.
- The Shopping. Stroll down King Street and it’s surrounding boroughs and you’ll find the most incredible shops and boutiques. Looking for a unique gift? An outfit for a night out? Something for the kids? We have it all.
- The Tours. Charleston’s history is vast and fascinating. What better way to learn about our past than hearing it with a southern drawl, straight from the mouth of a local? There are walking tours, carriage tours, ghost tours, boat tours, just to name a few. Trust me, they’re worth the price of admission.
JULIE’S WORDS TO LIVE BY:
“Show me who you run with, and I’ll tell you who you are//Bored people are boring//Only YOU can make your own good time.” – The wise words of Grandpa
ABOUT TSG CHARLESTON CO-EDITOR JENN MCKIAN:
Jenn was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky and is a proud 4th generation small business owner. She grew up at the florist started by her great-grandfather and is a passionate advocate for all things local.
Jenn attended the University of Kentucky (Go Cats!) and graduated with a degree in Marketing and Business Management. After college she worked for 10 years in the corporate world. She held various positions in sales, human resources, and organizational development and training. Her passion has always been people and making genuine connections. She met her husband Dan at work and their jobs took them to Winston-Salem, Louisville, Chicago, and Cincinnati.
A southern girl at heart, Jenn was excited to make a recent move to Charleston. After taking several years off to raise her four beautiful children, Jenn started thinking about re-entering the workforce. In Charleston, she connected with Julie through a mutual friend. They shared a love for The Scout Guide and jumped at the opportunity to bring it back to the Holy City.
As an editor Jenn is excited to bring a fresh perspective to life in Charleston. TSG readers will find the very best of what Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, and Daniel Island have to offer.
In her free time, Jenn can be found out and about with her husband and kids — Avery, JD, Collins, and Lou, and their puppy, Colonel Taylor.
JENN’S THREE FAVORITE REASONS TO VISIT CHARLESTON:
- History. Charleston is one of the oldest cities in the country. It is steeped in history and tradition. Visitors will love the horse drawn carriage tours, national monuments, military attractions, cobblestone streets, city market, and ghost tours.
- Food. Charleston boasts a world-class restaurant scene with something for everyone. The Charleston Wine + Food Festival is a must when planning your visit.
- The Great Outdoors. Charleston is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Boating, deep-sea fishing, crabbing, hiking, biking, golf, and tennis — the beautiful scenery and warm temps make Charleston an outdoorsman’s dream!
JENN’S WORDS TO LIVE BY:
“Bloom where you are planted.” – Saint Francis de Sales