“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” —Albert Camus
Maybe it’s the the start of a new school year, but there’s just something about September that always makes us feel like we’re about to flip a switch. This week we enter another mindset—one that’s a bit more introspective and focused, yet highly attuned to the signs of the shifting seasons—as we prepare for fall and the beauty and fresh perspective that we know it will bring.
1. Modern lighting. This time of year we get the urge to start adding new elements into our rooms that will give them a fresh look. A modern lighting fixture, like this one from San Francisco-based De Sousa Hughes, will do the trick.
2. Fall feasts. We can’t wait to host friends and fill our tables with seasonal fare, which can mean enlisting the help of our Scouted caterers. Check your city guide to find one close to home!
3. Clear-framed sunglasses. Acetate frames, like this pair available from Hattie Sparks in New Orleans, seem like they were made for fall thanks to their sophisticated vibe and slightly cloudy appearance.
4. Turquoise jewelry. We love how turquoise plays against our preferred fall palette of neutrals, adding just the right pop of color. These Gypsy Hunter pieces, available from Poole Shop in Charlotte, will be our go-to’s throughout the season.
5. Natural vignettes. Our favorite looks are comprised of natural elements from our backyards mixed with special pieces found in carefully curated stores, such as this unique find available from Paysage Home in Wilmington.
6. Leather Oxfords. Classic and versatile, the Oxford is the quintessential back-to-school shoe, and this gorgeous Peter Nappi version demonstrates why.
7. White and grey. With apologies to Labor Day purists, we refuse to put away our white jeans for any season. Pair them with a chunky knit grey sweater—Goldyn in Denver is carrying chic Ryan Roche options that are currently topping our must-have list—and you have a September uniform.