Meet our editor in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC, a.k.a. “The Triangle,” Hopie Avery! Check out her book here and subscribe to her blog here!
1. What were you up to before you found The Scout Guide?
I was a stay at home mom with our two young children. Before that I worked in design in New York and San Francisco. In a nutshell, I designed flip flops for Old Navy and key chains at Tiffany & Co.
2. What do you love about your current city?
I love the amazing restaurants we have. I love how convenient, small and accessible Durham is and the proximity to “big city” Raleigh and sweet and sophisticated Chapel Hill! I love the mix of people, native North Carolinians along with New Yorkers and West Coasters. I like to tell people it’s like a southern fried Brooklyn!
3. What book have you been reading recently?
How Lucky You Are by Kristyn Kusek Lewis. Kristyn is a local author and friend of mine. I am still so amazed that my friend wrote such a great read!
4. Have you seen any good movies lately?
Yes! Well, lately for me… my husband and I saw The Master at The Carolina Theatre. It was unsettling and very, very visually rich! I loved it.
5. What is your favorite product for fall? Fall is such a great fashion season, so I will have to say clothes…I have a clothes-crush on a Paul & Joe Sister metallic jacquard top with a Peter Pan collar from Fleur that you could wear “up” with a party skirt and vintage heels or “down” with denim and flatties.
6. What is the local event you won’t be missing this season?
The Chapel Hill Christmas Parade is always a favorite along with The Santa Train at The Museum of Life and Science in Durham. I hope my sister in-law will host The Griswolds’ Christmas party in Raleigh again this year!
7. What is your dream vacation? I am pretty simple- it involves salt water, sand and sunshine along with great food and ample entertainment for the kids. The Outer Banks just after labor day are pretty incredible.